Monday, May 11, 2009

Polling results are in: most want Sestak to challenge Specter




The poll we linked to earlier -- the one about whether people think Rep. Sestak should jump into a Democratic primary versus Sen. Specter -- has wrapped up. Here's the results, from an email I just received:

The Straw Poll has ended, and over 7,500 votes were cast!

The results: 85% in Pennsylvania and 86% nationally said YES -- draft Rep. Joe Sestak to run against Arlen Specter in the Democratic primary.


Rep. Sestak sent a message to the pollsters in response:

"I am honored that so many of you took the time to vote in the recent grassroots Straw Poll. Let me tell you, I and many others were paying attention. If I decide to run it will be in large measure because of the grassroots energy of so many people like you. Until I and my family make that decision, please accept my thanks and my best wishes as you continue be active participants in our people-powered democracy. Thank you so very much!"


Other than his curious grammar ("I and many others" and "I and my family"), it seems like a pretty positive message. Though I wish someone more progressive than Sestak was considering a primary run, his record of support for labor measures like EFCA would make him a strong candidate to win a Democratic primary vs. Specter, and a much better Senator than him, too.

0 comments: