Friday, May 29, 2009

Sotomayor's Pronunciation


Brett and I had fun poking for of Sotomayor's last name in a recent video. I thought it was funny and a great way to waste some time, entertain you, and lead the right wing of our country into a tail-spin of idiocacy. While Brett and I clearly know how to say her name, some in our country know how to do it, but refuse to. One such American Idiot is Mark Krikorian of the right-wing Center for Immigration Studies. He says this:

Deferring to people’s own pronunciation of their names should obviously be our first inclination, but there ought to be limits. Putting the emphasis on the final syllable of Sotomayor is unnatural in English (which is why the president stopped doing it after the first time at his press conference), unlike my correspondent’s simple preference for a monophthong over a diphthong, and insisting on an unnatural pronunciation is something we shouldn’t be giving in to. [...]

[O]ne of the areas where conformity is appropriate is how your new countrymen say your name, since that’s not something the rest of us can just ignore, unlike what church you go to or what you eat for lunch. And there are basically two options — the newcomer adapts to us, or we adapt to him. And multiculturalism means there’s a lot more of the latter going on than there should be.


I mean, really? This dude's last name is Krikorian. How the hell do you pronounce that? I mean I don't know, but I do know one thing. I would damn sure try and say it however he wanted me to say it, cause I am not a rude person.

So since we cannot attack her for being a bad judge, we are going to attack her for the pronunciation of her last name... Really? And this is why Krikorian is the "Worst Person in the World"

0 comments: