Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Does Fox News share Blame for Tiller Murder?


I do not believe they do, but I will leave you all up to make your own decisions. Here is what Bill O'Reilly has said about Tiller in recent years:
– “If you want to kill a baby, you hire Tiller. You’ve got to pay him $5,000 up front, and he’ll kill the baby.”
– “No question Dr. Tiller has blood on his hands.”
– “Dr. George Tiller destroys fetuses for just about any reason, right up until the birth date.”
– “This man executes babies that are about to be born.”
– “This is the kind of stuff happened in Mao’s China, Hitler’s Germany, Stalin’s Soviet Union.”
While I do not agree that they deserve blame for the murder, I can say that their biased coverage did help to create an environment where this would happen.

Frank Schaeffer, a former right-wing anti-abortion leader, said the following in the HuPo:
My late father and I share the blame (with many others) for the murder of Dr. George Tiller the abortion doctor gunned down on Sunday. Until I got out of the religious right (in the mid-1980s) and repented of my former hate-filled rhetoric I was both a leader of the so-called pro-life movement and a part of a Republican Party hate machine masquerading as the moral conscience of America.

Like many writers of moral/political/religious theories my father and I would have been shocked that someone took us at our word, walked into a Lutheran Church and pulled the trigger on an abortionist. But even if the murderer never read Dad's or my words we helped create the climate that made this murder likely to happen.


So, What do you think?

0 comments: