Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bye Bye Benson


I have many a fond memories of the Benson Building, formerly located on Lumpkin Street. While I hope the Institute for Women's Studies finds a permanent home soon, I believe that many in the institute would be glad to know that the University will be using the space as "green space" for the environment. So, while I am sad to see it go, I am glad they are doing something good with the space instead of sticking another parking deck over it.

We all remember the problems that the building had, including the mice, molds, and other health related issues. The building was not leveled for those reasons, but instead because:

Students and workers at the institute said they feared for their health because of rats and other potential health hazards in the building, donated to UGA in 1978.

UGA officials said the building was safe but no longer worth repairing.

"It had reached the end of its useful life," Satterly said.


I remember the classes I took there challenged the way I viewed life, equality, and fairness. While I did not always agree with some of my feminist counterparts, the dialog that was created helped my grow as a scholar and as a person.

R.I.P. Benson Building

0 comments: