Monday, June 22, 2009

When We Fight We Win: Senator Dodd Now Backs Same-Sex Marriage



From his website:

My young daughters are growing up in a different reality than I did. Our family knows many same-sex couples – our neighbors in Connecticut, members of my staff, parents of their schoolmates. Some are now married because the Connecticut Supreme Court and our state legislature have made same-sex marriage legal in our state.

But to my daughters, these couples are married simply because they love each other and want to build a life together. That’s what we’ve taught them. The things that make those families different from their own pale in comparison to the commitments that bind those couples together.

And, really, that’s what marriage should be. It’s about rights and responsibilities and, most of all, love.

I believe that, when my daughters grow up, barriers to marriage equality for same-sex couples will seem as archaic, and as unfair, as the laws we once had against inter-racial marriage.

And I want them to know that, even if he was a little late, their dad came down on the right side of history.

I have always been proud of my long record fighting for the civil rights of the LGBT community. I’ve co-sponsored legislation to strengthen hate crime laws and end discrimination in the workplace. I’ve spoken out against “don’t ask, don’t tell” and always supported equal rights for domestic partnerships.

But I am also proud to now count myself among the many elected officials, advocates, and ordinary citizens who support full marriage equality for same-sex couples.


Given that Dodd faces a very uphill re-election battle in 2010, largely because of progressive voters who've grown angry at him, it seems that this move is actually as political as can be. He's likely trying to win back progressives by supporting same-sex marriage.

That's right. In New England, being for same-sex marriage is actually so politically favorable now, you'll switch your position towards it to get re-elected.

If only that place wasn't so cold.

0 comments: