Sunday, June 21, 2009

UP! Review


I am going to take another chance to talk about the move Up!, which Zaid made a post on yesterday. I saw this movie about a week ago, and it is definitely worth the $8 I had to pay.

This movie, of course, it geared toward children with its animation style, but it deals with many issues that we adults can learn from. It deals with achieving our dreams, dealing with hardship in the family, and bridging the gap between young and old. It was a very, VERY moving movie, and I encourage everyone to see it.

One issue I did want to pull out specifically was development. As young adults, the protagonist buys this house in a nice neighborhood to settle down with his wife. Later, when he is older, we see that he is the only house in the middle of an urban development filled with large buildings and a parking deck. The way he is treated as a senior citizen is disturbing and made me think about how important it is to treat the elderly with respect.

There was also an article written about the bird, Kevin. Many people feel that Kevin, who is a feminine looking bird and is a mother in the movie, is a shout-out to the LGBT community. I must admit I did not see it, but looking back on the movie, I could see how someone might draw this conclusion.

0 comments: